Wednesday, October 10, 2012

(154) Awa Odori where?


Serves me right for pretending to be an Awa Odori expert (see related article in Greecejapan): I am in Kawasaki to pick Atsuko from her work and what do I see? Right there, in front of the station they have put up an Odorodrome and they are going at it! For anyone bored to read my article in Greecejapan (and shame on them because it is good –if you don’t mind me saying so myself) the Awa Odori is a summer dance free-for-all with a terrific beat by  drums and percussion that comes from Tokushima in Shikoku island but which is now also danced in various other places; personally I have seen it in Tokyo and in Yamato, Kanagawa but, apparently they also do it in Kawasaki.

(For a bigger version of this picture both in color and black and white, check my "Japan Arekore" set on Flickr)

0 comments: